The following are current job openings at OEI.
Onondaga Environmental Institute has openings for the position of Watercraft Steward on Oneida and Onondaga Lakes. Watercraft Stewards conduct voluntary inspections of watercraft at public launches and educate watercraft users on how to prevent the spread of aquatic invasive species. Watercraft inspections entail removing plants and debris from boats and trailers and identifying aquatic invasive species. The position is for 10-20 hours/week ideally from May 20th- September 30th. The program operates on weekends and holidays and the majority of hours will be Friday-Sunday in the summer.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Conduct voluntary watercraft inspections working in both beautiful and adverse weather conditions
• Educate boaters and the public about how to prevent the spread of aquatic invasive species
o Converse with watercraft users
o Disseminate written materials
o Assist with tabling and workshops
• Attend required trainings and learn to identify common native and invasive aquatic species
• Complete data sheet for each inspection using tablets and electronic data-entry software
• Assist Supervisor with volunteer training and outreach
• Support volunteer watercraft stewards at launches
• Manage all watercraft steward equipment including signs, chairs and educator box
• Attend scheduled staff meetings
• Provide weekly written updates and photos to supervisor
• Represent OEI in a courteous and professional manner
• Excellent interpersonal communication skills
• Must have the ability to successfully and clearly present information and ideas to a diverse audience, and to react in a positive, proactive manner in confrontational circumstances.
• A high school diploma and a minimum of two years related experience
• College students or recent grads with experience in environmental education, natural resources, biology, environmental studies or a related field are encouraged to apply
• Ability to accurately collect data according to established protocols
• Enjoy working outdoors alone and as part of a team to prevent the spread of invasive aquatic species
• Valid driver’s license and reliable transportation
Please e-mail a resume and cover letter to Amy Samuels, email@example.com
OEI is an equal opportunity employer.